Go to Top

News & Updates

History Bytes: French Huguenots in Newport

Recently, President Obama reminded the world that the French were our first European allies during the American Revolution. France formally recognized the United States on February 6, 1778. In 1780, the French fleet arrived in Newport to join the American forces.

The French were not new in Newport in

Read More

Newport Historical Society Completes Multimillion Dollar Building Renovations and Reopens Collections Access

In January 1927, the Newport Historical Society published in its bulletin that the vacant lot adjacent to its headquarters building would provide “ample opportunity” for the Society to continue to house its growing collection. The building, built in 1905 and added to in 1915, had not been comprehensively updated

Read More

History Bytes: Bushy Park

The “Bushy Park” estate, long gone, was located on Memorial Boulevard/Bath Road, between Cliff Avenue and Annandale Road. It dated to 1852 when it was “Beach Cliff” the summer home of DeLancy Kane. It later belonged to Philadelphia publisher Charles Peterson and then Richard V. Mattison of Ambler, PA.

Read More